In the summer of 2012, a group of Catholic and Orthodox faithful began a global campaign in support of life and family under the patronage of Our Lady of Czestochowa (the “Black Madonna”). Starting in Vladivostok, Russia, the Ocean to Ocean Campaign in Defense of Life has received the support and blessings of numerous bishops in Europe, as well as Metropolitan Hilarion of the Russian Orthodox Church, and is expected to circle the globe and enkindle a sustainable movement to build a culture of life.
The campaign is based on the pilgrimage of an icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa which has already traveled over 40 thousand miles, traversed 24 countries, visited 75 cathedrals and 60 Orthodox churches in over 400 cities; and has been venerated by hundreds of thousands since the campaign began. Along the way, bishops and priests have celebrated liturgies and have given talks to inspire greater devotion to the Blessed Mother and to awaken the faithful to the urgency of recovering a true cultureof life. With these visits, local parishes, shrines and other venues have hosted viewings, celebrated Mass, and coordinated events around her visit.
Be a part of this historic prayer campaign asking Our Lady’s intercession for the defense of life. These special prayer cards have been touched to the pilgrim icon and have on the back a Prayer for Life from Blessed Pope John Paul II. (Limit 3 per person.)
The icon – a magnificent replica of the original in the Monastery of Jasna Góra in Poland, and per tradition liturgically united with the original – was blessed in a special ceremony by the Archbishop of Czestochowa. The Archbishop of Cracow made a special act of entrustment to the cause of the defense of life and family to Our Lady of Czestochowa.
The Ocean to Ocean campaign is a response of the faithful, uniting Orthodox and Catholic Christians under the patronage of Our Lady in the defense of the most vulnerable, and to ask her intercession for the protection of the family, and the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death. Russia was chosen as the starting point due to its sad legacy as the birthplace of abortion on demand, and its resulting severe demographic problems – problems that are now shared by many nations around the world.
As Our Lady of Czestochowa arrives on the shores of North America, she calls all of her children to unite in the defense of life, in an effort to build a civilization of life and love – to remember that God can do what we can’t, to remember our faith.
This icon has come halfway around the world, inspiring hundreds of thousands to seek Christ, to deepen their faith, hope and love, and to defend the innocent. We ask for her intercession in this continuation of the ancient tradition of carrying the Ark of the Covenant into battle, of asking God for a miracle.
Reports from the Pilgrimage
- Ontario, Canada: Black Madonna Visits Imprisoned Pro-Life Hero Mary Wagner in Ontario
- Montreal & Ottowa, Canada: Pro-Life Black Madonna Pilgrimage Comes to Montreal and Ottawa
- [VIDEO] Local News in Texas Covers Black Madonna Pilgrimage
- Charleston, SC: Snowbound with the Black Madonna in Charleston, SC
- Cleveland, OH: Black Madonna in The Shrine Church of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr
- Youngstown, OH: Black Madonna Visits Polish Youngstown and the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon
- Washington, DC: Black Madonna Icon Will Join the March for Life in Washington, D.C.!
- [VIDEO] Fr. Boquet and Fr. West on “EWTN Live” with the Black Madonna
- [VIDEO] Black Madonna Icon Received at EWTN Daily Mass
- [VIDEO] Pro-Lifers Pray with Black Madonna at Abortion Mill in Charlotte, N.C.
- Fairfield, NJ: Reflection on Martyrdom and Marriage as the Black Madonna Visits St. Thomas More Church
- Germantown, NY: Black Madonna Visits the Carmelite Sisters of the Aged and Infirm on the Feast of St. Teresa of Avila
- Newburgh, NY: Black Madonna Visits the Home of Pro-Life Hero Bishop Austin Vaughn
- Hackensack, NJ: Motorcycle Escort of the Black Madonna
- Middletown, NY: Black Madonna Visits the 7th Orange County Rosary Congress
- Filmmaker Produces Video of Black Madonna Pilgrimage in New York
- Rye, NY: Salesians in NY Defend Life, Welcome the Black Madonna
- New York, NY: Black Madonna at Pulaski Day Parade in NY
- New York, NY: Youth Welcome Our Lady to Catholic Underground in NY
- New York, NY: Our Lady in the Heart of New York