Human Life International Policy
Donor Bill of Rights
Adopted: December 12, 2017
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the Human Life International’s (HLI) mission, of the way the HLI intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the HLI’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the HLI’s most recent Audited Financial Statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the HLI or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that HLI may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.